19 October 2011

Two Sided Coins


Greetings Dear Reader,

He is in the pain
He is in the need – Michael Card

Recently I have discovered and been enjoying the formerly aired television series “The Dead Zone.”  It is based on the story by Stephen King of the same name.  I read the story long ago and enjoy the movie.  I had never visited the TV series.  The basis of the story is that a man has an accident that puts him in a coma then he awakens and can see “visions” of the future.  There are times I both wish for and fear such a gift.

I do believe that God gives us certain gifts to allow us to show love and grace to the world.  I am not sure how these gifts work but I know that they ebb and flow for me with the tide of my faithfulness to who I am to be in Christ.  In my case one of these abilities has been on high gain and it is troubling.

Every now and then when I talk with someone and know what their inner pain and needs are.  This is not some dead zone vision but rather it is just a knowing.  Before I begin to sound too crazy this is not a flash of special knowledge or a specific vision.  It is just sensitivity to who a person is and what they need.  When it happens it is never pleasant. 

I have always been someone who feels things very deeply.  In the case of these moments of sensitivity I see pain, hurt, anger, and hatred.  I do not know the persons story or the specifics of the need within the person.  What I do get is the depth of the pain that is felt.  It is a gift that is a curse.  It is still, however, a gift of opportunity. 

When I get these moments of insight I immediately have an obligation.  The obligation is there whether the insight is or not.  The obligation is to do all that is possible to show the love of Christ to the person.  Since that is my duty in every circumstance it is an easy choice. 

The curse is that I feel the pain.  It haunts me.  It drives me to my knees to pray for them.  It also tempts me to try to fix things.  Therein is the danger.  I cannot fix anyone.  I am supposed to connect and introduce him or her to Christ then get out of the way.  My pride wishes for me to be the one who makes things all better.  It is only Christ who can mend the pain I feel in others.  The danger always comes when I try to supplant that so that I feel better.  When I step aside I get to watch a life become better because of the amazing love of Christ in that life.  The pain of the opening is always worth the joy in the closing.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment