07 November 2011

The Imago Dei – In All Mankind: Perfection



Greetings Dear Reader,

There are times when I have been called a perfectionist.  Most of those times, however, I was just being overbearing and demanding.  It does bring to mind the idea that we can perfect anything.  I have worked at my barbeque sauce recipe for years and it is almost “perfect.”  I go over and over my writing until I feel I have perfected it.

As a species we are always in pursuit of the perfect day, weekend, or vacation.  We look for the perfect dish, the perfect outfit, and even the perfect mate.  We have a sense of perfection even though we live in a completely imperfect world. 

It is our sense that things can be perfect that is the Imago Dei in us.  We know that things can be better.  We know that things can be improved.  We pursue perfection because we desire it.  We know intrinsically that we are not perfect.  We know that we can be better than we are at everything.

In the essence of this knowing is the truth that we imperfect and that God is perfect.  We rationalize our way away from it for our own purposes and to justify some of our imperfections.  I am imperfect and my sense of perfection is one of the ways that God draws me toward him. 

It is imagined perfection that becomes the image of God in us.  We wish to attain something that only he possesses.  As we journey toward him he can perfect us but we cannot be perfect or perfected without him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment