17 November 2011


The Imago Dei – In Christ Followers: Humility

Greetings Dear Reader,

The thinking on this is so simple.  The living it is so difficult.  My beloved Grandfather used to say about humility, “Humility is one of those things; when you think you have it you have just lost it.”  It is so difficult to embrace this concept.  I know that I wish to be humble.  I know that I wish to prefer others before me; to be meek; to be gentle with others.  Then pride and selfishness scream and rage to win out.

As a follower of Christ the image he wishes others to see in this area is paradoxical.  Christ is humble but from a position of strength.  He wishes for us to know who we are because of his work in us but he also wishes for us to remember who we were before he redeemed us.  He wishes for us to have the confidence of our belonging to him and in that confidence be deferential to others.

We are not entitled because of our relationship with Christ, we are indebted.  We are not better than others we are healed and required to share that healing.  It saddens me so much when I realize I have looked down on someone else because of my relationship to Christ.  It saddens me so much when I squander opportunities to show others the humility that will draw them toward him.

The essence of finding Christ is humility.  The path to following is humility.  This part of the image of God in us is only possible once we follow.  We are all predisposed to pride.  It is this essential battle that allows us to find and follow.  It is up to me to set aside self in preference to selflessness every day.  It is up to me to abandon my own for the greater image of Christ as a humble suffering servant.  The path to Christ is paved with humility.  It is that part of the Imago Dei that bridges me back to those who have not yet followed.  It is in humility that others can see the love and compassion of Christ.  I just need to remember that it is also a constant process in the journey and never a reachable destination.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment