23 November 2011

On Giving Thanks: Baking Bread


Greetings Dear Reader,

On the east side of the town in which I live is a large bakery.  Early in the morning the smell of fresh bread fills the area around it.  Many years ago when I first moved into a different house near that bakery Avalon and I decided to sleep at the house the first night of the closing.  We had sleeping bags, pillows, and a change of clothes. 

I also snuck our bread maker into the house so that we could have fresh bread for breakfast in the morning.  After she fell asleep I set up the machine and timed it so the bread would be ready as we woke up the next morning.  About an hour before the bread was done Avalon shook me awake and excitedly told me that she could smell the bakery.  I laughed and assured her that I thought that was a wonderful thing.  Her joy when she realized later that I had made bread for us for breakfast was exuberant.  It became a running moment of laughter in our lives that when we smelled bread baking we would comment that one could smell the bakery from wherever we were.

My house smells like fresh baked bread this morning.  Today we have a Thanksgiving meal for all those with whom I work.  This is one of those smells that enriches my life no matter when I encounter it.  I cannot think of anyone for whom this is not true.  I will bake at least two more loaves before our Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. 

I am thankful for the people I work with and the job that I have.  I get to change lives and give hard working people a chance at a new career.  Today I will share fresh baked bread with my coworkers.  It is of great value to me to do this.  It astounds me that God chooses to make something so basic to life so rich and enjoyable.  I am so thankful that making and sharing it is so simple.  I am also thankful for the opportunity to break bread with those I with whom I work. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I used to drive my the same bakery every Sunday morning to go to my old church, and the smell would fill everything. I haven't gone to that church since elementary school, but I still think of it every time I drive past.

    ReplyDelete