20 November 2011

On Giving Thanks: Traditional Dishes


Greetings Dear Reader

All over the school where I teach I have heard the same question.  It is a popular one every year; “What are the traditional dishes you make for your family?”  Mine are simple.  My eldest Son is fond of my homemade apple stuffing.  The younger one likes the special dessert I make.  Christmas favors pumpkin pie.  I will be making all of them. 

I am always reminded of the dishes I enjoyed as a child when I start prepping my own.  As fractured as my family was back then there were things I truly enjoyed.  Of late I have missed thanksgiving with my former in-laws.  Thanksgiving dinner at their house always felt very right and evoked much gratitude in my heart.  I have not had good lefse in some time.

Amidst all of this as I go over the grocery list of the few things I still need to buy for Thursday, I measure it against my grocery budget and feel so blessed.  I have also found a way to show more gratitude.  All around me there are food drives and attempts to provide for those in need.  I think that this year I will begin matching my Thanksgiving spending with giving to someone raising funds to provide Thanksgiving for someone else.  What I do can make a difference.  That is important to me.

I know it is a Christmas song but I think that it applies to Thanksgiving as well.  So for your Sunday I urge to follow the link to the song and ponder those in need as we prepare to give thanks for our abundance.


Through long December nights we talk in words of rain or snow,
while you, through chattering teeth, reply and curse us as you go.
Why not spare a thought this day for those who have no flame
to warm their bones at Christmas time?
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

Now as the last broad oak leaf falls, we beg: consider this:
there's some who have no coin to save for turkey, wine or gifts.
No children's laughter round the fire, no family left to know.
So lend a warm and a helping hand: say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

The Hooded Crow
As holly pricks and ivy clings, your fate is none too clear.
The Lord may find you wanting; let your good fortune disappear.
All homely comforts blown away and all that's left to show
is to share your joy at Christmas time with Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

Through long December nights we talk in words of rain or snow,
while you, through chattering teeth, reply and curse us as you go.
Why not spare a thought this day for those who have no flame
to warm their bones at Christmas time?
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow. – Ian Anderson

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment