17 December 2011

Awaiting Christmas: Bell Ringing


Greetings Dear Reader,

I know that I have mentioned this before but it is too important not to include in Christmas more than once.   One of the ways I will spend my time over the next week is bell ringing for the Salvation Army. 

We will see the kettles all over during the next week.  The truth is that fewer places are allowing them.  I wonder if we realize where the change in those kettles ends up.  Here are some of the things the Salvation does.

Social services for the homeless families and single women
Professional services for those transitioning from homelessness to work and a home
Emergency shelter to those in need during extreme weather
Their food pantry feeds thousands yearly
Free meals are provided on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings to anyone in need
Activities and athletics are provided for at risk youth

Amidst all the bustle of the run up to Christmas ringing bells for the Salvation Army brings me great joy.  I get to greet shoppers with a smile and a song and my children join me when they can.  There is still time to participate and bell ringers are still needed.  Whether you donate or actually make time to volunteer everything helps and the money stays local.  You can find more information at ringbells.org.  See you around the kettle.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I love to ring the bell and am so excited for warmer weather next Christmas in San Diego so I can do it a bunch of times. This year I've not rung the bell at all, but I give money to every single bell ringer I see and thank them for ringing!

    ReplyDelete