15 December 2011

Awaiting Christmas: Wrapping Presents


Greetings Dear Reader,

I am in true Christmas swing.  My Daughter Christmas and I spent time wrapping presents last night.  There are now presents for friends and family under our tree.  I thought I would share some of the things that dance through my mind when I am wrapping gifts.

Photo by Natalie Foley
To begin, I must start with how I shop for gifts.  I study people.  I listen and take notes.  I try to notice the needs in people’s lives throughout the year.  The lovely byproduct of this is that I am more sensitive to the needs of others all year long.  This proves to be of great benefit to me because I need to focus on being kind lest I get too wrapped up in my own things and neglect others.

As I wrap each gift I pray for the person.  I pray that Christ and his richness permeate his or her life.  I long for the gift I give to hold a measure of the thoughtfulness that God has toward un in the gift of his Son. 

Christmas has become so much about things to so many.  Instead I wish for my gifts to share the message that I know the person and that I love him or her.  I only give gifts out of love and never out of obligation.  As I wrap those gifts I hope to share that love in the care I take.

I also write clues on the gift tags.  They are usually vague and the recipient can only ken them after they open the gift.  It is fun and allows me to ponder the gift, the person, and my purpose for getting it just a little longer.  After all, the greatest gift I have are the people I get to love and with whom I share my life. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Mike! Praying as you wrap is a great idea. It's like praying for the mom and baby as we put together their boxes in the Mother & Child room. I, too, love giving presents at Christmas. It brings great joy.

    ReplyDelete