10 December 2011

The Christmas Difference: Gifts




Greetings Dear Reader,

I have spoken about giving and about spending less on gifts.  None of this precludes that I love giving gifts at Christmas.  In the midst of this love is a commitment to realize that giving gifts is a responsibility.  What we choose and how we choose it truly matters. 

I never just “get something.”  I ponder everything carefully.  As I move through the year Christmas is always on my mind.  When people talk about what they like, I make note of it.  When I see something that fits those notes I purchase it and put it away in anticipation of Christmas. 

It is too easy to see buying gifts for others as an obligation and a burden.  It is also easy to focus on what we want and the greed that threatens to consume the season.  Most of what we do can have meaning if we are vigilant.  We must be careful to give to others from the heart.  We must have purpose to our spending that reflects the gift we honor in our celebration.  Christmas gifts must be based on our love of the gift of Christ.

 Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment