22 January 2012

Anatomy of the Journey – The Destination



Greetings Dear Reader,

One must begin with the end in mind.  The journey will end and how I journeyed will matter.   None of that, however, is more important than the destination.  We are all on a journey to God.  What I believe about that does not change the truth of it.  At the end of the journey I will meet God.  I have no idea how that will unfold or what it will look like.  I am anxious to be there but not in a hurry to arrive.

The journey must be made with the destination in mind.  If I do not ponder the destination I will not know how to sculpt the parts of the journey that I can.  I will not know what to expect if I do not temper my travel with meager imaginings of what I am moving toward.

I would not like to arrive at my destination and it be totally strange to me.  I realize I cannot know all the I wish to know, elsewise faith is unnecessary.  Since God has made it a vital component of the journey I must hold onto it and use it as a guide.  I sometimes get so caught up in my own thinking that I forget where I am going. 

Like a ship at sea or someone traveling in the wilderness I must always keep my focus on the destination.  God is my true north.  He is the compass point to which I head.  All else must be set to this one thing.  The journey is useless without the destination.  I can only imagine how hard it must be to undertake such travels without knowing the direction in which I head.

I do not argue with those who do not believe in God.  I feel sad for them and hope to show his love so deeply to them that they understand where I am going and hopefully choose to walk with me for a bit.  I used to plead my case and state my arguments so well.  Instead I realize that the journey is of one’s own choosing and that I can only help others along by focusing on the object of my travel and reveling in his love for me. 

Like Pilgrim in Bunyan’s tale I will face struggles and get distracted.  What I must do is to travel well with only the destination as my loadstone.  In focus on the destination is the essence of joy in the journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment