14 January 2012

As So It Goes



Greetings Dear Reader,

So I would choose to be with you
As if the choice were mine to make;
And you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break. – Billy Joel

I often wonder why I keep my heart so open.  I know that it is going to get me hurt.  I know that I have made serious mistakes and caused my own pain at times.  I also know that anyone who keeps an open heart can only do so by putting themselves as risk of being hurt.  And so it goes.

The other side of that coin is that if I choose not to have an open heart then I can avoid being hurt.  Unfortunately the inscription on that side of the coin includes loneliness.  I cannot guard my heart from pain without shutting out a connection to others.  It is in that connection to others that the risk is involved.  And so it goes.

Even though the intent of the lines is between two people it is between my heart and that of Christ that the most significant tether exists.  Christ risked all to come after us; me.  Christ allows his heart to be broken over and over again for us.  How can I then not put my heart in his hands?  How can I not then leave it open no matter how much I do not understand the world?  And so it goes.

People abandon faith and following because of hurts and lack of understanding.  God does not act as we think he should in all situations.  Just because I am not in the place I wish to be does not mean that God is not doing what is best for me.  Just because things do not unfold as I think they should does not me they are not unfolding properly. 

One of the seminal elements of faith is brokenness.  I must put myself at risk to find the love and peace that is in Christ. I must give him my heart to break so that my own falleness can get out and more importantly he can get in.  I think that only in this transaction can I find peace in the pain.  And so it goes.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment