12 January 2012

The Sin Behind the Gin


Greetings Dear Reader,

I do not drink often and when I do I seldom drink much.  A few evenings ago, however, I had a little too much.  I was home, not going anywhere, and not alone.  What I discovered about myself bears a little examination. 

Even inebriated I could tell I had choices.  I knew right from wrong I just did not care as much.  My emotions were much more powerful than my reason but I knew that I had a choice about everything I said or did.  It has me thinking about all the times I hear that people could not control their words or actions due to outside influences.

I have a friend who talks about “locus of control” often.  She is very good at pointing out to others that they can control what they say or do if they choose to do so.  How often to I use some external influence to allow a less than honest attempt to follow Christ?  I have much more control over what I do, think, and say than I ponder.  I know that I am designed to do and be certain things.  Perhaps the sin that permeates without notice is when I allow other influences to hold me back from being my best.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. I would also point out that any outside influence (deciding to drink the alcohol, in your first observation, or allowing other things purchase in your life) is the result of a conscious decision to begin with. If you know that alcohol, say, impairs your judgment, but drink it anyway, the choice was still yours. If you know that your work or your friends or your entertainment diverts you from your worship, but you allow them to pull you away, that is an active decision as much as deciding, in a moment, to make a sinful choice.

    Good post. The final line sums it up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind and insightful words. Even though we have never met who your are intrigues and inspires me.

    ReplyDelete