04 February 2012

Anatomy of the Journey – My Guide


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I said when we started out the journey is about following and the destination.  The following is because the guide is also the author of the journey.  He created the path.  He created the rules for following.  He knows the path and everything we will encounter.  All he asks is that we follow. 

My guide is Jesus Christ.  I do my best to follow him.  At times I have let what others tell me about him and his guidance keep me from looking directly to him.  So many will tell you what Christ wishes from you.  I will attempt to simplify what I see and I apologize for those who use following Christ to manipulate others to false following.

Before I offer my simple list I must for the sake of honesty address some things about following that seem irrational.  Following Christ does not solve all my problems.  I have never seen him.  I know that many of his avowed followers are jerks.  Heinous crimes have been committed in his name.  People use him to promote hatred.   

Instead I offer the following guide to following Christ, our guide in the journey.  These are Jesus’ own ideas for following him.  
  • Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind
  • Love your neighbor as your self
  • Love your enemies

Anything else is subtext.  If I say that I am following Christ and do none of these then I am lying.  If I do anything in an attempt to follow Christ I must measure the actions in light of this.  This is the path.  This is how the Guide tells me to follow.  The journey is dangerous.  These rules get me through.

Pilgrims to the City of God

Pilgrims of passion, we follow the One
Who holds out a cross and a crown
We travel a dark road that has but one Light,
For we have here no lasting town

And sometimes we run by the power of His might,
on our own at the best we can plod
What we hopefully look for is just beyond sight,
We are pilgrims to the City of God

The stigma of strangers lost in a strange land
In a fallen world that's not our home
But we are not just homeless prodigals here
Because we have some place to go

Behold, you have come to Mount Zion,
To the city of the Great King
To thousands and thousands of angels who come,
Assembled to joyfully sing – Michael Card

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment