20 February 2012

Hiding Behind Freedom


Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the things that is a constant source of ponderous consternation for me is the idea that God gives us freedom in Christ.  I do not wish to do ANYTHING wrong but because I have free will I can choose to do wrong.  There are days when I wish that I had no choice.  There are day I wish God would usurp my will and create in me an inability to do wrong.

Since the inability to sin is not going to be removed whilst I am alive I have to determine how to properly use my freedom.  I am to live as a free person.  What frightens me is when I use that freedom to work my own will over the will of Christ.  I cannot hide behind my freedom to justify doing something I should not.  It is wrong to allow injustice.  Christ followers are to be the lead in the fight against it.  It is wrong to allow the innocent to suffer.  We are to fight against this in every way.  It is also wrong to use my freedom as an excuse to ignore my responsibilities to Christ.   

In the stormy political climate that we find ourselves in I see so many on both sides abdicating the responsibility to obey God in favor of the agenda of a political faction.  If I truly follow Christ I must not abdicate any of my responsibilities to God.  The poor, the oppressed, the innocent, and the hungry are all my responsibility.  I must serve their needs. 

I must do so though without using my freedom to reject morality, righteousness, and holiness.  Every dream of justice and generosity is possible but only as they are realized in the shadow of the cross.  We cannot reject Christ’s teaching in any way and believe we are doing good.  I must follow and be free.  I must use my freedom in Christ to address the social issues of my world.  I must do so while doing what is right in everything.  I do not get to pick and choose what I am free to do.  Freedom is only found in obidende.

God wants you to silence the ignorance of foolish people by doing what is right.  Live as free people, but don't hide behind your freedom when you do evil. Instead, use your freedom to serve God. – Peter the Apostle – 1 Peter 2:15-16

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment