13 February 2012

Rolling in the Deep


Greetings Dear Reader,

Last night the singer Adele did quite well at the annual Grammy Awards.  She won six awards including song and record of the year.  In one of her acceptance speeches she referenced the inspiration for her work to what she calls a “rubbish relationship.”  Her amazing song “Rolling in the Deep” is powerful and additive.  The video his haunting and the images leave one to wonder at the specific meaning.  In this song is a repeating line:

The Scars of your love remind me of us. 
They keep me thinking that we almost had it all. 
The scars of your love they leave me breathless. 
I can’t help thinking that we almost had it all. - Adele

I can feel the pain in her music and I hope she fully recovers from it.  I know that I have left scars from others loving me.  I try to interact with those people in ways that promote peace and healing.  I know that I have scars from loving others.  I do not think I will ever truly heal from the most recent deepest wounds.  The scar tissue still feels red and inflamed even though time has relegated that love to the past.

There are other scars for which I share responsibility.  Mine will fade and eventually be permanently relegated to the past.  The ones to which I allude never will be gone.  To love others is to feel joy and revel in the beauty a human.  It is also to take on risk, damage, and scars.  Christ has done all of this for all of us.  He took on all the risk to face incarnation and death for us.  He took the abuse and beating and crucifixion for us; for me.  He carries the eternal scars for that death for me.

Christ’s love for us has left him scarred.  He has suffered everything so that we could follow him.  We, however, take him or leave him as we please.  We betray his love by indulging our will and vices in any way we choose.  What this makes obvious is that he suffered and died; he took on the scars knowing that I and others would continue to harm him.  We would commit sin for which he carried the weight beforehand. 

He knew we would betray him.  He knew we would be unfaithful.  How can I indulge my own selfishness in the light of such love?  It is unconscionable.  I am not my own.  I was bought with a price: God’s blood.  Every time I ignore this to work my own will I take on more responsibility for the scars of his love.  There is no excuse for this.  If I do not give all that I am to loving God with all that I can then I am being unfaithful to the love that is freely given me every day.  If I abandon following Christ in any way it is the scars not the love that identify me. 

Another song comes to mind:  Known by the Scars

The marks of love God chose never to erase
The wounds of loves eternal mark
When the Kingdome comes
With its perfected sons
He’ll be known by the scars – Michael Card     

Is this not what is really rolling in the deep?  We can have it all.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment