28 February 2012

Rules of Engagement – I Cannot Take the Credit


Greetings Dear Reader,

I wish that every time someone thought a positive thought about me a bubble would pop up that reminded them that any good in me is because of Christ.  I am not a good man.  Any good that I do is because of the grace and mercy of God. 

I am fallen, flawed, and fortunately forgiven.  It does not come from my nature to be loving or kind.  Showing grace and mercy is not who I am.  Thanks to the love and work of Christ kindness, mercy, and grace can be what I do.  When I begin to take credit for these things then I am eroding the humility and holiness required to do them.

Engaging with Christ means that he gets all the credit.  When I ponder this it is obvious that this is right and honest.  Since God created me, redeemed me, and knows me better that even I know me, it is logical that he get credit for any good I do.  Since I am only able to do right through Christ taking credit for it mutes the ability of others to see Christ in what I do.

The only reason for me to do good is so others can see the love and grace of Christ in my actions.  The benefit to others and being viewed in a positive light are only byproducts of the primary goal.  When I take the credit instead for squelching my pride I dim the reflection toward Christ that others need to see.

It is not wrong to feel good about doing good as long as I do not take credit for the power and success of it.  I can allow Christ working through me to show himself to others to feel good.  I can allow it to prop up a good self-image.  I can allow it to make me feel joy in the journey.  I must be vigilant not to take credit for any of it.  I must assure that others see that I am just a fallen man who in his mercy God is using to try and allow others to find Christ.

I cannot judge others.  I cannot condemn anyone.  I cannot do anything but follow and hope that I get out of the way enough for others to see Christ as he leads them too. 
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment