07 March 2012

Valleys of Death – The Journey There


Greetings Dear Reader,

Death is there to keep us honest
And constantly remind us we aren’t free – Dan Fogelberg

Later this week I will make a journey south.  Part of the journey will allow me some time with family.  This has potential for joy and respite.  The primary purpose of the journey, however, is to say goodbye to someone who is dying. 

So much of the way in which American’s deal with death is odd to me.  I wonder if death is not the ultimate test of faith.  When we face that “undiscovered country” it drives us to the bleeding edge of what we believe.  No room remains for postulation.  We have had glimpses from those on the edge of that moment.  We have heard stories from those who have been clinically dead.

For the next few days I will be discussing my thoughts on this.  I lead with this; how I view death is directly connected to how I view my journey toward God.  The specter of fear and avoidance that surrounds death is directly connected to what I believe about what is next.  I do not claim to know any specifics.  I think that those who attempt to interpret the Bible have read into it things that give them more hope and less faith. 

The only way to begin to face death is to realize that it is part of the unknown.  It is integral to the measure of our faith.  Since God’s demands that we contract with him on faith it is only reasonable that we approach the vast unknown in this way.  We are not our own.  We owe a life and will pay it eventually.  When dealing with this spectre how then do we do so with love of God and man so as to deal with it well?

I do not intend to be morbid.  Rather, I hope to find hope and purpose at the end of our discussion.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment