13 March 2012

Valleys of Death – The Walking Dead


Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that most of my writing on this topic is very morose.  I promise I am not depressed or in a “bad” place.  I am simply trying to deal honestly with my feelings and the way in which we deal with death.  For me it is the last best part of the journey toward God and the best result of actually following Christ. 

So many that I know have not embraced the richness of giving all that they are to Christ.  I am not condemning anyone here.  What I am saying is that there is a richness there and there are many who claim to be “Christian” who do not really care for the challenges and cost of truly following Christ.  Following Christ is not a spectator’s sport.  He demands all of us.  Many who claim to love Jesus are still dead in their pursuit of him. 

The true cost of following Christ is that no topic in life is out of bounds.  How we deal with everything is a report on our faith.  How we treat others tells of our love for Christ.  Who we put first in our conversations and actions belies our faith and following.  What we do with our time and resources explains our priorities in relation to Christ’s priorities.  Why we do what we do is a direct statement of our seriousness in following Christ.

As I drift along the line of the Bible Belt I ponder that if all these churches possessed committed followers of Jesus then the world would be a much different place.  Healthcare, homelessness, and poverty would be issues of the church and not the government.  I fear that the path of those following is much narrower than those who think they are following.  I also fear getting it wrong so I hone my focus daily.  I do not want to be one of the walking dead who think they follow something good but in truth have embraced a dead orthodoxy over true faith.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."
  

No comments:

Post a Comment