03 March 2012

Yelling at a Waitress


Greetings Dear Reader,

I love diners.  I have a favorite one that I frequent as often as is practical.  Some of the patrons are there daily.  The first time I went there was after my former favorite diner closed.  It was difficult to find a new one.  It took me a year.  On my first visit I sat at the counter.  I was greeted by a kind woman from Israel who asked “What’s gonna be?”

I introduced myself and asked her name.  It was a common but not overused name.  It was also a name that required attention to get right.  As she walked away I thanked her pronouncing her name correctly.  She turned and looked at me, smiled, and said, “You got it right.  I am watching you now.”

That was almost a decade ago.  She and I are good friends and she always treats my family with great kindness.  Yesterday I went for a very early breakfast and there were only about a dozen people in the diner.  All of them were regular customers.  Christmas and I placed our order and exchanged hugs with this wonderful waitress. 

Shortly after that the man at the table next to us began yelling at her.  I will not recount what he said nor will I scribe the entire event.  What I will address is that this man yelled this at the waitress.  “I need my breakfast now.  I need to get to church.”

The contradiction of this moment astounded me.  It reaches out to every time I have done harm to others for some holy purpose.  Once cannot yell at one’s waitress about needing to get to church on time and be going there for the purpose of serving Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Let me start out by saying I appreciate you, Mike. The fact that you not only immediately learned her name, but that you've built a relationship with a waitress over the years of her serving you. That is excellent. As for that man, I think he expressed exactly what I was talking about in my holiness posts, his heart is not right. Now that is a bold assumption on my part, but I feel like if he was loving God with all that he was he most likely wouldn't be yelling for faster service to get to church of all places!!

    ReplyDelete