25 April 2012

ANZAC Day


Greetings Dear Reader,

As the dawn breaks over my Midwestern home it is already dark where most of my Australian friends live.  Most of them have spent the day in true celebration and remembrance of those who have served in their armed forces.  Today is ANZAC day (Australia New Zeeland Army Corps). 

I think that very few Americans realize that this continent nation so far away from us has supported us in every major war effort over the last century.  Australian soldiers have bled and died next Americans in both World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and the Middle East.  They had an invasion similar to Pearl Harbor.  They lost thousands at Gallipoli attempting to shorten World War I.

The motto for this day for remembrance and celebration is “Lest We Forget.”  The entire nation pauses to honor their veterans.  Dawn services, gunfire breakfasts, and wreath laying ceremonies are just some of the forms the commemoration takes. 

I have nothing profound to say here.  I merely wish to use my moment of audience today to thank those people I never knew for sacrificing so much for the greater good.  Today I will share a gunfire breakfast with my adopted Australian daughter.  I will pray for the Australian troops in harm’s way in the Middle East.  I will acknowledge the day to my Australian friends. 

As Americans we owe a debt of thanks to our Australian allies.  They too sacrifice to combat evil in the world.  They too lose loved ones to road side bombs.  They too have a memorial day to honor their fallen.  I hate war in all forms but in that hatred I also love and honor those who stand so that I can sit safely in my home spin my little tales.

If you know someone in Australia take a moment to acknowledge their day of remembrance.  They are our friends and allies in a dangerous world.  We should honor them, Lest we forget…

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment