04 April 2012

Holy Week 2012 – Wednesday: My Betrayal of Christ


Greetings Dear Reader,

Last year I spent all of Holy Week with Judas.  Today as I think about the traditional view of Judas I wonder why I think I would be any better.  To think that I would stand in the same places he fell is pride and arrogance.  I have betrayed Christ.  I have denied him, perhaps not overtly but in silence and in cowardice.

When I am silent and should speak, is that not betrayal?  What about when I see things upon which I should act?  What is it other than betrayal when we take Christ on to follow him then choose to turn away when our own reason or desires call us to do so?

Following Christ is not always an easy thing.  There will be accusations and contentions about our choice to follow.  We will see those we love abandon the journey and even encourage us to stop following.  We will fail and fall.  If I do not allow the grace of God to lift me back up and set me back on the path of following then I am betraying the vow I made to follow.  So I must follow even to the cross.

This is not a statement of pride.  Christ and him crucified is my only hope.  It was a long and hard battle to get to faith and I will not easily give it up.  Judas may have handed Christ over to those who killed him but it was my sin that made it necessary.  In that lies the only reason I need to follow.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment