17 April 2012

My Prayer List for My Children – Sound Doctrine


Greetings Dear Reader,

So much of what we learn about God comes from the understanding of others.  I must never be satisfied to simply follow what others say about God.  I must seek him with my heart.  I must desire to know God as deeply and purely as possible.  I have read thousands of pages about what it means to know God and pursue him. 

What it really comes down to is the choice to progressively abandon my “self” and take on Christ.  The more I obey the commands to love God and my neighbor the more it seems that reams of “doctrine” are unnecessary.  What I do believe matters but very little of it is worth causing strife or division.

The winds of odd doctrine blow constantly across the face of Christ’s followers.  What matters is that we follow Christ in humility and honesty.  If that is the focus then the other differences are minor.  Majoring on those minors has pushed people away from following altogether.  I must assure that anything I make prominent in my communication about Christ is sound truth.  That is a very narrow path.

Since God chooses for us to follow him by faith there are few things that I can point to as absolute in terms of doctrine.  Trying to systemize my theology seems like an exercise in setting aside faith.  I am not saying that faith should be blind.  I do think there is a balance between walking in faith demanding proof.  I want to be sound in my theology.  More I want to be sound in my following.

I pray that my children see that without the following it does not matter how much theology we have or how little we embrace.  I pray that I never put doctrine over following.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store”

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous17/4/12 14:12

    Black/White/Gray

    When it comes to doctrines they seem to fall into catergories, and fit into our lives depending on what we've been told, or what we have studied out, or a combination of both. From there we move it into the correct box. Things tend to be black or white. However it is the gray areas of our lives that need the clarification. These are the areas that may in someway be areas we do not want to change or we truely don't know. But then these are the areas that we should be studying out to place them into their proper light within our lives, and not continuing down a path unless we are assured with out biblical data on how they actually fit within Gods plan.

    There was a women once who bought a ham to make for dinner, in preparing it she cut off the ends to put into a smaller pan that she had. Her daughter watching her as she grow-up and became a wife, prepared the ham for the family, following her mothers footprints cutting off the ends placing into the pan, her daughter also watched. Keeping with the tradition of the family the grand-daughter followed.

    One evening after the family gathering sat for a fantastic dinner at the grand daughters home, the question came up, why do you cut off the ends, she replied that is the way my mom taught me. Eyes turned to her Mother and she responded that was the tradition her mother showed her. Grandma sitting at the end of the table with a impish smile on her face. Looked up from her meal, and explain she cut off the ends because it didn't fit into the pan she had.

    There is an abundance of doctrine out in our world. I don't believe that God expects us to know "everything" but i think He expects that when He opens the doorway of understand that we drink the words and they become part of how we respond. And that if there is something we don't fully comprehend that we pause in action until we know what the direction should be. This requires, searching the scriptures and reading.

    I pray that we don't live that status quo that is past down generation to generation but that we seek out His will for our lives and live accordingly within His desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment and wisdom in this. Inherited practice without true faith leads to dead orthodoxy.

    ReplyDelete