08 May 2012

Disagreeing with God


Greetings Dear Reader,

Over the centuries men have done much to bury the character of God under mountains for theology and dogma.  Much of what we think we know about God is a result of others trying to work their way in getting power or wealth.  I feel shame when I think of all the damage and pain that has been inflicted in the name of one who loves us so much.

If we cut through the things that wish to manipulate us then we find that it is reasonable that God would wish to communicate his love to us.  It is understandable that he loves us and wants a relationship with us.  The problem is that we want to make those things true on our own terms.

When I disagree with God I am always wrong.  I do not get to dictate how I build my relationship with God.  I am free to choose not to but I cannot feign faith neglect obedience.  I cannot pretend belief and do nothing.  While God gives me free choice in these things he allows no room for debate over the fact that my faith must have action to be real. 

Anything I do or say that is in disagreement with God is an act of futility on my part.  I cannot claim to follow and also disagree.  When Jesus told Peter that he must die, Peter responded with one of the clearest contradictions I have read.  While I am sure that he wished for Christ to not be harmed his response, “Not so, Lord” is inherently oxymoronic.  Either Christ is Lord or you may disagree with him.  It cannot be both.

I cannot have faith without acting on that faith.  I cannot pray without being willing to obey.  I cannot follow without constant movement toward Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment