27 May 2012

In Memoriam – The Burden of Freedom


Greetings Dear Reader,

I do not want anyone to think for a moment that I do not cherish my freedom.  I do think that we forget that it is a burden as well. With all freedom comes responsibility.  We owe a debt for our freedom and we have continuing obligations because of it. 

We have an obligation to the fallen.  People have been put in harm’s way and died so that I can be free.  If nothing else I owe them a debt.  I owe it to them to live honorable in my freedom.  I must not abuse it to limit the freedom of others.  I must participate in the political process with my conscience and my vote.  I must honor service personnel whenever possible. 

I owe our veterans a debt.  I owe them gratitude, kindness, and respect.  I owe them more than I can ever repay.  Even those who come home physically whole do not always come home unharmed.  I owe them my love and understanding.  People I have never met and people I encounter every day have sacrificed time and family to give me freedom.  I owe them a debt.

Freedom’s burden stretches beyond the soldier.  I owe a debt to the future because of my freedom.  My grandchildren must inherit a sense of responsibility not just the freedom.  My nation is not always right but it is my home.  I must work to ensure that the future inherits not just freedom but that it is bourn up by justice and equality.  No matter what my moral values are I must assure that care those in need is addressed.  I cannot dismiss my social obligation to anyone because I have a burden of debt to the future.

Further, freedom’s burden includes my debt to God.  Any freedom I have is a gift from God and I must cherish it.  I have an obligation to live a life that reflects my freedom in Christ while never using that freedom to hinder others from seeing Christ.  No matter how powerful my nation thinks it is I know that all my freedom is a gift from God.  This weekend is focused on my obligation to our military.  It would be a dishonor to them not to also acknowledge my debt of gratitude to God for the freedom I have.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment