26 May 2012

In Memoriam – So Many Flags



Greetings Dear Reader,

Even yesterday I began to see the flags lining streets, driveways, and cemeteries.  I feel the loss deeply.  I hate war so much.  I had a conversation earlier in the week with a student who is a veteran.  He did not merely serve his time. He wants to continue in the military because he values the job he does.

He spoke of the friends he lost in the Middle East.  He spoke of the how hard it has been to readjust to “normal” life.  I saw him push back tears so that he could talk about his love for his country and the sense of belonging his military career provided.  He talked about how much it would hurt him to see all that flags everywhere when most people only valued cookouts and an extra day away from work.

I hate war but it exists.  I will, therefore, remember to pay close attention to having gratitude for those who put on the uniform of war so that I can live in peace.  I will see every flag for what it represents; those men and women who have died so I can go to Bratfest, spend time with my children, and have an extra day off work.  I will remember and hold each life dear in my heart.

I will pray for those who return less than whole either physically, mentally, or both.  I will thank service personnel when I see them.  I will continue to hate war and beg God to bring the world to peace.  Until then I will not forget that there are too many flags along the road for me to take them for granted.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment