12 June 2012

Marginalizing God – The Dead

Greetings Dear Reader,


Today is my Grandfather’s birthday.  He would be 112 today.  Hardly a day goes by that I do not think about him.  He was the single best influence on the early part of my life.  He continues to be an influence over forty years after his death.  He continues to call me to follow Christ as closely as possible.

I often feel that the dead is an area where our faith finds its footing.  Do I really believe that I will see my Grandfather again?  Do I truly think that the journey culminates in reunions?  Yes I do.  I do not know what that looks like.  I cannot say what the clearing at the end of the path looks like but I know one is there. 

When we forget the dead and no longer allow what they taught us to guide it is a form of marginalizing God.  I am sure that my life would not have been as long as it has been had it not been for my Grandfather.  The lesson he instilled early in my life got me through some times that would have claimed my life.

It is also true that I have made my poorest choices when I have marginalized those lessons.  When God sends people into our lives to guide and we ignore what they teach us then we marginalize God.  My Grandfather loved God and did much to teach me to do the same.  When I honor God I also honor him. 

Forgetting those who have reached the end of the path before us is to forget to honor the marks they have left for us in their journey.  If I am to keep God central then I must also leave marks worth following.  I have Grandsons who will be influenced by my choices.  I must leave for them a path that is easier to follow and filled with influences that only make them better men.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment