03 June 2012

Startling Contrast – New Fans


Greetings Dear Reader,

As the national anthem played at my first game of the season I was distracted by the contrast from my youth.  I noticed that young children in the crowed were doing anything but paying attention to the anthem.  This is discouraging but not something I can change.

I also noticed that many of these same children were dressed like comic book heroes.  Apparently the night’s promotion was the kids dressed as super heroes got in free.  It was humorous to Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and Thor flitting around throughout the game. My Daughter, Christmas was amazed at the sight of this.  

As Christmas took in her first game she had many questions and instantly took to the spirit of baseball.  As her understanding of the game grew she began also to understand my love for it.  She got to see almost everything that a baseball game has to offer in terms of action.  The only thing missing was a home run.  That will come eventually.

The magic for me was seeing all that youth loving baseball and cheering their team.  Another generation will catch hold of the eternal summer.  More hearts will be broken and mended by the linear beauty of baseball.  I am doing my part to pass on this legacy.  With it I hope to pass on the legacy of faith as well.  The two are so intertwined in my mind that I cannot do one without the other. 

The early lessons of baseball are what prepared me to begin my journey of faith.  The long walk from opening day to the last out of the World Series is so akin to the journey of faith.  Watching Christmas take in her first game reminded me so much of when my faith began.  The wonder and newness of it all were so energizing for me.  Forty years down the road I am recapturing the energy of both baseball and my faith.  The promises of both have rung true and stood the test of time.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment