25 June 2012

Ten Commandments – God’s Name



Greetings Dear Reader,

At a very young age my Grandfather taught me about how to be a good fan at baseball games.  He taught me that it showed my character to everyone around me.  As long as I can remember I have been a fan to the Atlanta Braves.  I carry their banner proudly in the area of baseball.  Because of this I have endured both good and ill as their performances vary greatly.  My behaviour at all baseball games is regulated by my desire never to bring shame to my love for the Braves.

When God commands us concerning his name it has little to do with what we say and a great deal to do with what we are.  “Never use the name of the LORD your God carelessly. The LORD will make sure that anyone who carelessly uses his name will be punished.” (GW)

You see when I chose to follow Christ I chose to identify with him.   When I say that I believe in and identify with God then what I do reflects on that identification.  I am responsible for the reputation that I put out there not just for my own life but for how it reflects who Christ is.

What I say is not what God is getting at here.  He does not want me to use him for my own purposes.  His command is clear.  “Never carry the name, reputation, or fame of Jehovah your divine ruler for vain or worthless purposes; because Jehovah will not consider him innocent or pure who uses the name for his own purposes.” (ATT)

If I hope to follow Christ then I must never include my own purposes in that following.  The moment I put my interests above those of Christ is wrong.  The moment I try to gain something because of Christ and who he is I use the name of God in vain.  My purposes must only be put forth when they are a mirror of Christ’s purposes.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store. "

No comments:

Post a Comment