16 August 2012

Cutting up a Peach


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have often written about the joy I find in peaches.  One of my colleagues at work shares this love and often can be found in the kitchen at work peeling peaches.  We have talked often of them and when I have my Georgia peaches I share them with him.

The other day he was peeling away on three fine looking Washington state peaches.  The second peach looked the best of the three. He began to deftly peel it and his knife slipped.  Even though the peach looked perfect on the outside it was grey and rotten to the pit.

My colleague declared peaches officially over for the summer but his rant was lost on me.  It occurred to me that this is what C.S. Lewis is getting at when he talks about man being completely rotten without the work of God to make him better.  A great part of the redemption that God works out in me is redeeming me from myself. 

I am completely wrong without the influence of Christ in me.  I am rotten to the core.  Another thing that Lewis notes is that this is natural because we are designed to run on God.  God designed us to run on God.  I cannot ask my car to run on water even though it is the purest cleanest water available.  I cannot ask a gas engine to run on diesel.  I have accidentally tried this and I guarantee that it will not work.

The very basic thing here is that I must be constantly aware of my need for Christ to fuel my redemption and my daily existence.   I think I am beginning to see a new depth to which I must depend on Christ for all things.  This is because I am realizing how much of what I am is useless without him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment