03 August 2012

The Deeper Vales of Mirkwood




Greetings Dear Reader,

It often seems to me that there is little actual refuge from the things that besiege us.  I have spiritual refuge in Christ and that will suffice but on days like this I long for a way to eclipse myself.

As I drove home last evening I saw the full moon in its yellow orange beauty and longed to be seeing it across the sand and waves of Folly Beach.  I am in desperate need of some time away from my life.  I need to rest, recharge, and recreate.  Please do not think that I am not grateful for the life I have.  I have a good job and all that I need to live a good life but in my current struggles I long for the long days of a youth so far away.

I want to awaken to the sound of gulls and surf.  I want to be the first one awake and sit out on a screen porch watching the shrimp boats ply their nets against the wind and chop of the ocean.  I want to take that first sip of coffee and melt into a day of walking, swimming, and crabbing.

Today is a wonderful day on its own merit.  It is the fifth anniversary of my eldest Son and his lovely bride.  I love them both dearly.  It is a unexpected day off from work and I will spend it in leisure.  I am thankful for another day to follow Christ and be his.

With all that in place I am still fighting the lurking shadows that beg me to be dissatisfied with my life and despair for the things that are deepest in my heart.  As Summer turns the corner eyeing the fires of Autumn I feel a deep longing to for the things I fear will never be for me.

Those of you who reached out yesterday in support and kindness have my thanks and continued desire for prayer on my behalf.  Today, however, I will do my best to maintain and be what I should be in Christ.  It is his will that wills me to do so today and not my own.  I long for things I do not have yet or things that I have lost and will never have again.  I feel world weary and in need of an eternal change.  I will find it because I will continue to follow Christ.  I must be in some deep cleft on the path where the very best efforts cannot afford a view that is promising.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that we were able to give you the gift of those years at Folly. I too have been longing for the peace and joy of those waves, sand, sunrises & sunsets. I always feel closer to HIM when I am there. My memories of our times shared there are a beautiful gift. I wish we could all be there together with the whole family one more time before I go.
    Thank you for this memory.

    ReplyDelete