25 August 2012

Why I Believe – A Pause to Respond to Comments



Greetings Dear Reader,

I have had some very interesting comments and questions since I started discussing this topic.  I am going to respond to a few them.  I do not intend to be argumentative as my purpose here is not to persuade others but rather to examine my inner reasons for why I am who I am.

Patrick Sharp has made some valid observations worthy of response.  I will attempt to be brief and clear.  I can often do one or the other but rarely both.  I will agree whole heartedly that it is difficulty to have faith without a “degree of irrationality.”   I wonder if something has to be rational to be reasonable.  I think not.  I think because the metaphor is “a leap of faith” that we must concede to the irrationality.

Mr. Sharp also points out that there is clear mathematical evidence for life outside of this world in the universe.  I concede this without hesitation and would go on to say that I hope it is true.  Just seeing the creativity of this world makes me wonder what other worlds a creative God would design.  As to the proof of evolution I would say that one can draw other conclusions without denying the validity of the things we observe.  I have always had difficulty with the notion that what I can observe is the measure of what is true. Perhaps attempting to quantify faith or make it rational is an exercise in folly.

I would also like to address a question from one of my Anonymous readers.  Anonymous asks “Is it possible to have a relationship with God and not read the bible completely or to study him?” 

I would whole heartedly say yes.  I think there are several places in the Bible where God obligates himself to reveal himself to those who seek him.  My more conservative friends are going to chafe at this and I ask their indulgence.  These are my thoughts and I am willing to be wrong if I am wrong but I must be honest in my error. 

In Jeremiah God makes is clear that those who wholeheartedly seek him will find him.  I cannot speak for God in this matter as my knowledge; having been literate and read the Bible over and over find no limitation on the possibility of God revealing himself.  Since we are required to approach God in faith, I would think that he would always respond to the faith based act of seeking him.

I cannot say exactly what God wants from those who are not exposed to the things I have been privileged to learn.  I can say that he will go to great lengths to honor those who seek him.  Perhaps there is a harmony here between the two individuals to whom I respond.  After all the primary focus of God is a relationship.  Science and vocabulary mean little when we factor in the desire to know someone and develop a loving relationship with that individual.

I want to thank everyone who interacts with me here.  I am will continue responding for a bit and continue writing about my thoughts in this area.  I will not argue or attack anyone.  That would not be in the spirit of the faith I attempt to follow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I'm really not sure about the difference between rationality and reason. I think that the dictionary defines rationality as agreeing with reason or reasonable. I also do not understand the attempt to prove the reasonableness of a religion or faith while trying to leave out a discussion of scientific study. Reason and objective pursuit of facts go hand in hand.

    I definitely agree that quantifying faith is useless. I also agree that God would go to any length to reveal Himself. Those thoughts always leads me to the conclusion that one religion cannot be the only answer to all right thinking and righteous living. If one religion does have all of the answers that does not preclude another from having all of the answers either.

    It seems that God would reveal the truth under any circumstance and that would even include times and places where Christianity was never even heard of, let alone a place where the culture embraced a different religion. As you say, the earnest seeker will find truth.

    ReplyDelete