14 September 2012

How to Follow Christ – Giving


Greetings Dear Reader,

When I began this set of thoughts and observations I made it clear that I am not giving a prescription but rather sharing what works for me.  I am not talking about money here.  What I wish to share is what I must do to feel that I am following Christ in the area of giving to others.

I have mentioned often that I have more than I need.  I have made it clear that I am grateful for what I have.  I try to do most of my giving in secret.  I do not want accolades for it or recognition.  What I want to share about giving is where it comes from within me. 

I used to give out of duty.  I had not reached the place where it was from the heart.  First I had to come to the place where I realized that nothing is truly mine.  Since anything I have is a gift from God embracing that truth leaves me free to give.  Since God promises to provide for my needs I do not need to worry that giving will leave me in need.

I love seeing the needs of others met and more-so I love being able to help in the process.  I feel that in many ways there are those who claim to follow Christ who either ignore the need to give or use the requirement to do so as way of lining their own pockets.  Both are abhorrent to me. 

I give time, materials, talents, and money because it is in my heart to do so.  When I see a need that I can meet I help.  I try to embrace the opportunity to help others when I can.  I love it when I get to secretly provide for someone else.  It is my dream to spend the balance of my life giving to others.  With God’s grace I will get there.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment