08 September 2012


How to Follow Christ – Listening

Greetings Dear Reader,

The reason that I speak so often of my Grandfather is that he was the first influence for Christ in my life.  His life drew me to the Christ long before I understood what he was saying.  Later, when I made the choice to follow Christ I became influenced by people who chose practice over pure following of the Christ.   It was more important to maintain standards they chose and build the size of the church than it was to share the life of Christ with others.

One day during a sermon the pastor was dwelling on the phrase “Preach the word…” from 2 Timothy 4:2.  I quote the King James Version here because that is the version used then.  A quote that is unverifiabley attributed to St. Francis of Assisi rose in my mind, “Preach the Gospel always; when necessary use words.” 

A sharp contrast began to form in my mind between the way Christians lived and the way Christ intends us to be in our lives.  Later this combined with remembering what my Grandfather used to say to me when I was distracted from instructions he was trying to give.  “God gave us two ears and one mouth.  We should listen twice as much as we speak.” 

All of this forms in my life something I am trying to learn to do.  I try to listen much more than I speak and I try to live more than I preach.  I am not ashamed to share my faith and the reason for the hope that I feel.  I also want to live my life in such a way that my words have validity when I speak them.

I must listen for God.  I must listen to others.  I must speak only when my words will do good and not harm.  I must speak the truth in love.  I must listen with my heart and mind.  I must seek first to understand before asking to be understood.

There is little I can do to mask the past failures of my life.  I cannot undo the impact they have had in those around me.  What I can do is listen to the needs of others and respond with a heart that loves.

Scanning the Silence with inward ear
Life is a listening
Enfolded in echoes of timeless years
The Word comes whispering

Build my being from your throat
Meld my meaning with every note
Wrap me ‘round in an aural cloak
That I may truly hear. – Kemper Crabb – The Vigil

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment