03 September 2012

Why I Believe – The Command to Love


Greetings Dear Reader,

I cannot pretend that I understand the intricacies of the Old Testament law or the way in which these laws work in relation to the world at large.  I do know that central to all the things contained in the law is the command to love.  I have written about this before and will not belabor it too much.

What I want to make clear is that we are to love God and our neighbors including our enemies. This is the focus of all that God commands us to do. This is what Christ pointed out as the foundation of the law.  It becomes very complex very quickly if we do not establish love as the foundation for all of our theology.

We must do things that are centered on loving God and each other.  The failures of Christ followers both globally and individually are anchored in the failure to follow this mandate.  The seminal character flaws in man are linked to this failing.  If I do not embed each action with love for God and my neighbor I am destined to act in a self-centered, self-righteous, and self-absorbed manner.

Any God that wants me to love my enemy must have confidence in his approach to the cosmos.  If any man follows this simple but difficult command he will face difficulties.  I have to work to keep my own interests at bay and to love others.  Even those who wrong, misunderstand, or hate me are to be targets of my love. 

I have seen this work.  I think that when I withhold my love from someone for some slight, real or imagined it damages my faith and my ability to follow Christ.  When I love someone beyond my faults and his I create a space in which respect and understanding can grow.  Problems can get solved.

I believe because God wishes for us to love each other.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Love tempered with wisdom is surely the birthplace of all pure things. Removing the specter of "if" from the concept " I love you." can only create beauty in the world.

    ReplyDelete