06 September 2012

Why I Believe – A Few Final Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I said at the outset of this I was opening a dialogue and am thankful for those who have joined in.  I would like to draw a distinction between offering a discussion on apologetics and opening to discussion the reasons why I believe.  It seems that some of the interactions have presumed the former when I clearly intended the latter.

If one wishes a real discussion on the general area of apologetics I would recommend my dear friend Donald Williams as an excellent person with whom one could palaver.  My understanding of such matters is my own and not as efficient as his.  This is why I wrote about why I believe and did not attempt to convince anyone else.  I do not believe my words could do that.

The things I covered are some of the things that have influenced me whether anyone else accepts them or not.  Some comments have been interactive and some condemning.  There were a few that were mean spirited and vulgar.  I chose not to approve them to be posted on my Blog. 

Some of my thoughts did not meet the approval of some of my Dear Readers. Others were encouraging or thought provoking for me. I particularly loved the last line of AL’s comment:  “This is our journey and we must figure it out on our own before we be deemed worthy, for we are lost souls struggling to find the light in this increasingly dark abyss.”

I agree that we are in an increasingly dark abyss.  We do struggle to find the light and so many things attempt to hinder the search.  Less and less do I condemn other beliefs or thinking in the place of trying to live out what I do believe before others.  I do not have the power to undo my failures in faith and following in the past.  I do have the desire to live today and tomorrow and any other days I have in following Christ.

With some people it has been made clear to me that I have no right to be heard.  With others I have chosen to try and be the embodiment of my beliefs hoping to earn the right to be heard.  I also know I have a few fellow travelers who get me and see my heart.  For all of these people I am thankful.  In each way they challenge me to be more like I should be as a follower of Jesus Christ.

As I said I am going to leave this topic and attempt to write about ways in which I try to make following Christ a daily act in the moment.  I am sure that I am incomplete and fractured at this but I also know that there are others in the same boat.  I openly admit that I need someone to guide me and I have chosen Christ.  If I am wrong I will not have lost anything for I find I am most content when I feel I have represented him well and that contentment is priceless. 

Finally I do not think I can prove to anyone who Christ is or what he wants from his creation.  I think the mystical aspect of this is that when you believe it makes sense because you believe.  I realize how irrational that is but for me it is none the less true. 

To those who think me foolish, misinformed, or puerile I would ask the following.  Instead of arguing with, dismissing in whole, or despising openly those who claim to follow Christ try this:  Require that we truly follow Christ by treating everyone with respect and compassion.  Hold us accountable to caring for the poor, the sick, and those in need.  Mandate that we not see ourselves as better than anyone else.  Insist that we see the social needs around us and take our Christ mandated place in meeting those needs.  Demand that our defining attribute be unconditional, unflinching, unstoppable love.  Some of us are up to the challenge.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment