29 September 2012

Why They Cannot Hear Us – I Was in Prison

Greetings Dear Reader,

What do you think about when you think about people in prison?  I think of a friend who has been there his entire adult life.  It does not matter whether or not he deserves to be there.  It does not matter why he is there.  He is my friend.  I have not been faithful to that friendship and I need to be.  It would take little time to do so and very little effort on my part.

For time when I lived in Florida and was single I worked with a group of people who helped with literacy in the jails.  It was an honor to help men in deep water better themselves.  I am not sure how I lost that passion but I need to reclaim it.  What about you?  Where do you weigh in on this measurement of knowing Christ?  How can they hear us if we pretend they do not exist?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that Jesus specifically adds the line about visiting those in prison. Hungry, poor, naked; these are things that might not be your fault. In Christ's time, beggars, lepers, and refugees lined the street; victims of circumstance. But prison suggests guilt, and yet Jesus instructs us to visit the imprisoned. Not "I was falsely accused in prison and you visited me," but rather, simply, "I was in prison." While we often see prisoners as deserving their punishment, in the eyes of god, we are all guilty, and all equally redeemable. And what better way to help someone who has injured his fellow man than remind them that humans can also help one another?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that excellent observation kyp. It is so true that God levels the playing field when it comes to guilt and redemption. I value this comment and the insight it requires.

    ReplyDelete