24 September 2012

Why They Cannot Hear Us – Thirst


Greetings Dear Reader,

I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink.

So much is contained in this simple phrase.  Water is the essence of life for us all.  I am blessed to have sweet well water at my home.  I only notice the difference when I get water elsewhere.  When I do though it sharply reminds me of how important water is.

I cannot imagine refusing anyone water when asked for it.  Then again I do not have to really work for my water.  When Jesus makes this statement it is a time when one must work to obtain water.  During his time it was a vital resource that was still considered precious.  In many parts of the world that is still true.

So how do I assure that I am able to be heard in light of this statement?  Perhaps the answer is twofold.  First I must be in mind at all times that I have an abundance of something that others die without daily.  This abundance in no way limits my responsibility for using the resource wisely.  Wasting water is wrong no matter how much I have. 

The second prong of this is that I must be aware of the needs of others because of my abundance.   There are things I can do even from my desk to provide for the needs of others in this area.  I can support agencies that work to get clean water to those in need.  I can assist in using water wisely in my community.  I can show that I get it globally by my actions locally.

Perhaps there is even a third way to approach this.  It seems that I must be aware of what social needs are causing thirst around me.  It may not be water, but there are still areas where I must be aware of the needs of those around me.  How can I hope for someone to see Christ when his basic needs are neglected?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment