21 September 2012

Why They Cannot Hear Us - When I was hungry


Greetings Dear Reader,

I grew up in the shadows of your silos filled with grain
But you never helped to fill my empty spoon. – Great American Novel - Larry Norman

I must ask this question:  Why as Christ followers do we tolerate hunger?  There are so many easy ways to combat hunger in others.  There are organizations that will give us ways to fight hunger.  The church I attend has a few acres of unused land.  Over the past three years they have used that land and volunteers to grow and donate over 40 tons of fresh produce to local food pantries. 

I truly believe that one of the reasons we are not heard as Christ followers is because so many churches have nice manicured lawns instead of food for the hungry.  It is not the nice lawn that is wrong.  It is the lack of vision in our hearts for doing things to fight hunger.  Evidence of this is how often we struggle over, or even argue about what to eat instead of seeing the abundance we have and working out how to share with others.

How can we hope to show the love of Christ if we are not constantly aware of the needs of others?  How can I ask someone to see my example if I am not caring for those in need?  If I do not do anything to fill empty spoons how can I dare to hope to help fill empty souls?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment