20 October 2012

Keep it Simple – First Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

I was recently reading some research on the Barna Group web site.  It occurred to me just how vast and deep the divisions among the American Christian church are.  So much of what we divide over is meaningless to our mission as Christ followers.  Many of the things that we focus on have little to do with aiding others in seeing the grace and love found in following Christ.

One of the cornerstones of faith in Christ is love for others.  The things that divided us can be hindrances to that love.  There was a time when I was younger that I was very conservative in my thinking concerning the things that Christians do and do not.  I would say that my theology is still very conservative.  How I apply that theology, however, is much less divisive than it was when I was younger. 

No one can see Christ and his love and grace if I am demanding conformity to a set of standards that do not make sense outside of my faith.  I can apply as strict a code of behaviour to my own life as I wish but that does not mean that I may place those expectations on others.  A group of believers can do the same but when they start making a list of rules that are the proof of “true belief” they are dividing themselves from others.  Worse, perhaps they are creating barriers to faith for others.

It is difficult enough for an individual to come to the place where he or she sees a need for Christ.  When we saddle people with a list of conformities that are not really what following Christ is about we make it even harder.  Jesus chastised the Pharisees for this explaining to them that they focused on the things that divided the people and ignored the weightier matters of the law.

So the question I must approach is what it is that is vital to true faith.  More important currently to me may be what it is that I do the hinders others in following Christ.  As I examine this I hope to become better and living what I believe without clouding it with my own trifles.  Journey with me if you wish.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment