06 October 2012

What is Your Super Power? – Pain and Loss

Greetings Dear Reader,

It seems that the great super heroes all have in common a place in life where they suffered great loss.  With Spiderman it is his parents and then Uncle Ben.  Superman lost his planet, his parents, then his foster father.   Batman also lost his parents. 

Not all of our heroes rise from this crisis.  There are other things that trigger the desire to express that inner quality that pursues justice for everyone.  In the great ones though, there is loss.  It what that loss yields in them that makes them heroic.

That pain and loss changes them into something beyond themselves.  They reach out for the greater good because of the loss.  They also resonate to the pain and loss we all feel.  I know they touch mine.  How I deal with my own great losses tells a great deal about who I am.

My loss will either propel me to use my power for good or ill.  It is my choice.  Every day I have power placed at my disposal and what I do with it is vital to who I become.  I develop a code of conduct based on my response to this loss.  I approach others in light of my world view and my pain becomes one of the lenses.  How I focus through that lens is key to being what is good and right.

Loss shapes us whether we will it or not.  If we do not actively control that shaping then we may abandon or lose the good we can do for others through our loss.  The path is complex and difficult.  Then again the path to being heroic always is.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment