12 November 2012

A Season of Gratitude – The Salvation Army

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the things that Thanksgiving always signals for me is the beginning of the Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign.  In truth it is one of the only things with the word “Campaign” that I care for.  Each year when I see the email from them asking for my time it excites me.

The things they do for those in need are very good.  They provide shelter, job search assistance, food, and many other services to a community that is in need.  They are involved in drug and alcohol rehabilitation.  They also help with missing persons and the fight against human trafficking. 
 
The Salvation Army also provides youth camps, community centers, and music programs for youth.  In addition they have programs for the elderly and to assist those in need all year round.  One can find a place to donate an hour or two here.  www.ringbells.org 

Much of the money they use for these programs comes from the red kettles.  This marks the one hundred and twenty second year that the red kettles have asked us to help those in need.  I thankful for the work they do and the opportunity to volunteer.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. yes!! I got an email from them for the first time this year offering priority sign up for shifts. And I am out of the country! I am so bummed there is no red kettle campaign in the UK (they had their drive in September, I think). Anyway, ring away and enjoy your time! I love that you love this season like I do. And my best advice? Always carry change in your coat pocket so you can donate each and every time you see someone ringing. It makes both my day and theirs a bit brighter :).

    ReplyDelete