17 December 2012

Music of the Season – In the Bleak Midwinter

Greetings Dear Reader,

This song is so hauntingly beautiful.  The words are very simple.  One of the most beautiful recordings is the one performed by Sarah McLachlan.  Her unique voice gives the words an ethereal quality that they deserve.

It is worth the time to follow the link and sit through the song.  It is worth it to take the time to ponder the words and examine ourselves.  The Christ wants most from us is our hearts.  Everything else is subtext.

In the Bleak Midwinter – Christian Rossetti

In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan
Earth stood
Hard as iron
Water like a stone
Snow had fallen
Snow on snow
Snow on snow
In the bleak midwinter
Long ago

Our God
Heaven cannot hold him
Nor earth sustain
Heaven and Earth
Shall flee away
When he comes to reign
In the bleak midwinter
A stable place sufficed
The lord God almighty
Jesus Christ

Angels and archangels
May have gathered there
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged in the air
But his mother only
In her maiden bliss
Worshiped the beloved
With a kiss

What can I give him
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb
If I were a wise man
I would do my part
Yet
What I can I give him
Give my heart

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment