28 December 2012

The Closing of the Year – Absent Friends

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of my practices between Christmas and New Year’s Eve is to look over the list of friends I have not seen in a year or more.  I am a not so secret keeper of lists and I try to reach out to people that I have lost touch with.  This can be both bitter and sweet.

Because of some of my failures there are those who do not wish to speak to me.  When I encounter this I ask for and then pray for their forgiveness.  I can still hold them dear in my heart and seek God’s best for them.

There are those who I enjoy heartily but time and the busyness of life get in the way of doing things together.  These I can do something about and plan to do so.  As I look over the year I plan times that I can reach out and do something with these individuals.

Those that are separated by geography are a deep challenge.  As a writer one of my goals is to get to the place where my writing income makes it possible for me to be anywhere I wish and still do my work.  I am close but not there yet. This would allow me to visit those whom I treasure but are far away.

What about you Dear Reader?  Are there those with whom you would reconnect?  Time flies so fast.  There are those on my list who have been there for ten years.  That astounds me.  There is one who has been there since I was in third grade.  I have tried to find him to no avail. 

Understand that most of this is pondered with joy.  Most of it is an exercise in remembering the blessing of friends and why each one matters to me.  In the digital age it is easy to find people who are not avoiding being found.  So later this week I will raise a glass to absent friends and ponder ways to reach out to them.  I am determined to make the list shorter before the closing of next year.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment