27 December 2012

The Closing of the Year – Resolutions

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that it is easy to see the end of the year as a time make big changes.  The truth is that I think it is the hardest to do that.  Many times we are mentally or even physically spent from the rush of December events and making big changes may be too much of a challenge.

I do not make New Year’s resolutions.  Instead I a make a plan for things I am going to work on throughout the year.  I realize that if I try to change a list of things on January 1st that I will fail and then be frustrated.  I also realize that I will abandon those things by my birthday. 

For me it all goes back to trying to live daily or even at times hourly.  I am going to eat right today.  I am going to work on this skill today.  I am going to be more patient for the next hour.  I am spending the next hour being kinder.   You see I realize that being what I am supposed to be cannot be a list that goes into effect a midnight on Monday.  I must be constantly aware of what I should be and do minor course corrections every moment to get there.

It is like driving.  It is the thousands of momentary minor movements of the steering wheel that keep us on the road.  The turns, backing up, and lane changes are far fewer than the countless minor course corrections as I drive.

So as I close the year I view long at the things I wish to be different and plan the many small course corrections necessary to make them different.  I expect some big changes this year but for them to come to reality I need to be vigilant over the moments beginning with the closing of this year. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment