02 January 2013

Diving Deeper – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am determined to dive deeper in my faith.  One of you lovingly asked how I am going to do this.  Over the next few days I hope to map this out so that it is clear and practical.
That alone seems like an impossible task.  One dose not easily make a map to that which is based on faith.

I am not going to give any pabulum solutions here.  None exist.  I expect this to be difficult and taxing.  I fully believe this will be painful and rigorous but the rewards will be undeniable.  One of the motivators has been the challenges I have felt to my faith over the last year.  When asked why I do things that are not expected in the area of kindness or giving it is automatic for me to relate them to my faith and in following Christ.

I realize there are areas where that is not true.  I want to begin there.  Not with a specific list but with the why factor.  Why do I do anything I do?  What is my motivation in things?  I was recently criticized by a friend for missing church to care for my Grandsons when both his parents have to work on a Sunday.  On balance is my ninety minutes at church more important to following Christ that week or is giving peace of mind and love to my family of greater import.

My motivation is the question.  Why do I do it?  I do it because of my love for Christ, my Son and Daughter-in-law, and my Grandsons.  I want to translate this motivation to every area of my life.  I want to live and move and have my being in Christ and in following him.  The adoption of this attitude is dangerous.  There are things I do that I cannot say are a complete living out of my faith.  I will have to find a way to temper or if necessary abandon those things.

I hope to stay away from too much language of Zion as I discuss this.  I hope to keep the cookies on the shelf where everyone can reach them.  I am taking steps today to live with greater intention toward this end of deep faith.  A Dear Reader reminded me of a verse that applies to those who follow Christ:  John 3:8 “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you don't know where the wind comes from or where it's going. That's the way it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

This means I do not know where this will take me but I know I must go on the journey.  Travel with me if you wish and we may both be better for it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment