27 February 2013

Thirty Day Challenge – Day Nine – Pride of Knowledge

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Father, please show me my sin.”

This happens so often around me that I fail to see when I am drawn into it.  I laugh when my new students get into knowledge wars over things like Star Trek trivia or which video card is best for which game.  It is easy to stay out of that most of the time.  The problem comes for me when I do not think before I speak and I will boast about what I know about a subject. 

God has blessed me with a good mind and I too often count on my own knowledge to make me look good.  I know that I feel much better when I simply use that knowledge to help others or do what is right.  I love to learn new things and gain insight on the amazing.  Too often though I use my knowledge to be self-sufficient instead of allowing the wonder to take me into deeper appreciation of who God is and what he does.

Knowledge makes us proud and can lead to thinking we know when we have just scratched the surface.  I know that appearing to always know is a source of deep pride to me and instead of it making me look good it makes me look foolish.  I must find the place where my knowledge is viewed as an opportunity to be humbled by the vastness of God instead of a tool to build up my own pride.

Pride is a sure path to rejection of God.  The pride of knowledge is a fast path to that rejection.  I must not allow what I know to keep me from seeing how much I need the one who knows all things.  Knowledge is not the key to truth.  It is a component of it but not the center.  No matter how much I know I come to the place where faith is necessary.  Lord I know, please help my ignorance.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous27/2/13 18:34

    But you can share your knowledge in a way that is not prideful and others will benefit from it.
    You have a wonderful God given intelligence and memory for what you learn. That is a gift to be shared.

    ReplyDelete