19 February 2013

Thirty Day Challenge – Day One – Systems and Formulas

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Father please show me my sin.”

I like to know how things will work out.  In my studies of psychology I have always favored the behavioral approach.  If I can adjust the behavior then the heart will follow.  Sometimes this works.  Often it just makes me look manipulative and controlling. 

God is not an “if then” proposition.  If my approach is to think that if I follow the right pattern things will work out as I wish them to then I am terribly wrong.  God does not want my formula for following he wants my faith and obedience.  He wants me to realize that there are no set patterns but only him and my following him. 

I cannot hope to put into place a system for following Christ.  Although get up and follow Christ is a simple pattern that one could argue is a system, this is not the point.  There is no formulaic response to understanding God.  I challenge anyone to apply that to his or her spouse and see how it turns out.  From where I sit I can count six different systematic theologies.  All of them can teach me things about God that are important to understand.  None of them can tell me who God is. 

God demands a relationship with me based on my knowing him and following him.  He already knows me.  It is up to me to either follow and learn to know him or to think I know and fail in my following.  I begin with this thought to ponder that some of the things Jesus said had much more depth than I have given them.

When Jesus spoke with Nicodemus he addressed this.  He told the Pharisee “Don’t be surprised when I tell you that all must be born from above.  The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you don't know where the wind comes from or where it's going. That's the way it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

We can see the effect and impact of the wind but there is no formulaic way to say what the wind will do or where it will go.  We can generalize and talk about past observations but we cannot say the exact pattern to follow to be wind.

How many times did Jesus do things that amazed people and then comment on their need for faith?  We should not be surprised when things happen that require faith for them to happen.   If I am to follow Christ more closely I must give up my desire for a road map and to know the way and simply follow. 

This terrifies me.  Then again that is what faith is for.  That is the essence of following someone. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment