23 March 2013

In the Wilderness – Evening – Part 4

Greetings Dear Reader,

Tomorrow begins Holy Week.  As I emerge from this internal wilderness I count gains and losses.  I look for some things that are meant to be there and they are not.  There are also things that I carry that I should not.  When Jesus emerged from the wilderness he had only his mission. 

I think that the idea of Holy Week for me this year is to continue my journey out of the wilderness.  The journey is both triumphant and terrible.  It pauses for a moment at the cross.  The cross is the weigh station where I must see the true cost of my sin and take up the robe of righteousness.  I emerge from the wilderness seeking not the comfort of a hot shower and cold beer.  I rather seek the cross.  I will figuratively get there on Friday.  For now I will keep journeying and keep a vigil for what is to come. 

Tonight the transition from wilderness to Jerusalem will be stark.  Instead of a solitary wasteland I will move among the throngs of those flocking to worship on Palm Sunday.  Some are always there.  Some come to appease family, God, or guilt.  Some are emerging from another wilderness; the one God has journeyed them through to this moment.

I will sing the worship songs.  I will pray and listen.  Mostly I will begin Holy Week by pondering what it takes to renew the battle for redemption.  I will keep vigil over the things I have learned.  I will fasten my heart to Palms I spread and walk with Christ to Golgotha this week.  Tonight I keep vigil.  Tonight I ask for the courage to die to self so that I may live for Christ.

The Vigil – Kemper Crabb

Waiting for flame in the eye of night
I am the fuel for your fire
Light calls ever unto light
Make me a fleshen pyre

Touch my lips with altering coal
Leave your shining upon my soul
Zion shall ever be my goal
Zion the telling of light

Scanning the silence with inward ears
Life is a listening
Enfolded in echoes of timeless years
The Word comes whistling

Build my being from your throat
Meld my meaning with every note
Wrap me round in an oral cloak
That I may truly hear

Drawing toward destiny’s darkling kite
Riven by reality
Riding the Passion to terrible height
Life upon death’s tree

Cause me to drink from the chalice of fire
Forge me anew in the heat of desire
Let me inhabit your holy empire
And make war on the armies of night

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment