10 March 2013

Second Thoughts – Frustrated Intentions


Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.
Today I had a great plan.  My intention was to have a relaxing breakfast with my younger Son, Bezel.  We were meeting at a place that we both like.  It offers free Wi-Fi, an endless breakfast buffet, and a large refillable Coca-Cola fountain.  Even though it was sleeting when I got to the car I drove carefully into town for the intended breakfast with a Son whose companionship I love.

I arrived early to get a little writing done and enjoy a Coke Zero to kick start my mind.  The Coke machine was not working.  Neither was the Wi-Fi.  The buffet was not up to its usual quality.  Then my Son called and we agreed it was better for him to get some more sleep than to drive tired on the icy roads. 

I helped the manager repair the Wi-Fi.  I had some coffee instead of Coke.  I was kind to the people making the buffet and it filled me with joy to let my Son know that his rest mattered more than his being at breakfast.  Perhaps this exercise I am undergoing in seeing a rejecting the sin in my nature is helping me be kinder. 

I love the people at the places I go to for breakfast.  It was good to help them serve the rest of their customers.  It was joyful to reassure the manager that he had not inconvenienced me in any way.  It was beautiful to hear my Son hear that I really understood.  None of these feelings come from pride.  Instead they come from the sincere recognition that I was able to set aside my selfishness and reach out to others.  My frustrated intentions became opportunities to be kind and understanding. This is the joy in the painful journey of owning my sin and trying to die to it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/3/13 08:58

    Beautiful thoughts and actions from a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete