25 March 2013

We Paid for the Party with our Dearest Blood – Cursing Fig Trees and Cleansing Temples

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I ponder the events of that last week before the crucifixion I look at the things upon which Christ commented and did.  The first thing that comes to mind it the cursed fig tree.  It represented itself and a fig tree that was healthy and well ready to provide it fruit.  Instead it was barren of fruit.  If I am to properly prepare to take up my cross and die to self then I must assure that I am on the outside what I claim to be as a follower of Christ.  I must not put on Christ for my own purposes.  I not must claim Christ as mine and then not truly follow him. 

In the same light Christ made it clear that we must respect the places of worship by not stealing from his faithful followers.  The bazaar-like atmosphere of the temple must have been so odious to the Son of God.  People were much more concerned about commerce than they were about prayer.  They were seeking gain not God.  I have heard people complain about church because they did not like the free coffee.  People have abandoned the following of Christ due to a church not acting properly.  I must assure that the temple that I am is a house of prayer.  I must assure that I do not give cause for others to see following Christ as a business.

The events have a common thread for me.  As I approach the cross I must shed anything that is false and misguided.  I must make Christ and his rule my business.  I must assure that whatever I claim to be, I am.  I cannot take up the burden of the cross without shedding the burdens of pretense and selfishness.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment