26 March 2013

We Paid for the Party with our Dearest Blood – Brides and Prostitutes

Greetings Dear Reader,

Late in the evening in Eastern Orthodox churches perform a very long and slow cant of The Hymn of Kassia.  The day has been filled with a celebration of the story of the Ten Virgins.  The story reminds us that we must always be prepared for the arrival of Christ.  Christ as the Bridegroom of the church requires us to be always ready and always preparing.

The Hymn of Kassia is sung to close the day and bring us to Holy Wednesday.  This is the only time in the liturgical year that the hymn is performed.  In many churches prostitutes attend this service to hear the hymn.  I often wonder why we exercise the habit of seeing some sin as more deplorable than others.  Prostitution can only exist in a world where we are willing to use and abuse others. 

The woman who came to wash Jesus’ feet came because of her love for Christ.  Those who were supposed to be holy judged the woman and Christ for their interaction.  Christ’s response was to honor her.


Sensing Thy divinity, O Lord, a woman of many sins

takes it upon herself to become a myrrh-bearer,
And in deep mourning brings before Thee fragrant oil
in anticipation of Thy burial; crying:
"Woe to me! For night is unto me, oestrus of lechery,
a dark and moonless eros of sin.
Receive the wellsprings of my tears,
O Thou who gatherest the waters of the oceans into clouds.
Bend to me, to the sorrows of my heart,
O Thou who bendedst down the heavens in Thy ineffable self-emptying.
I will kiss Thine immaculate feet
and dry them with the locks of my hair;
Those very feet whose sound Eve heard at dusk in Paradise
and hid herself in fear.
Who shall reckon the multitude of my sins,
or the abysses of Thy judgment, O Saviour of my soul?
Do not ignore me, Thy handmaiden,
O Thou whose mercy is endless.

If I am to truly die to my fallen self then I must see that my sin is as despicable as anyone else’s.  I must realize just how much risk that prostitute took in appearing in front of the Pharisees.  I must risk all that I am to honor Christ and purify myself for him.


The alabaster case of oil is open
And washing the feet of Jesus
The sweet perfume is poured
I am like the cask I must be broken
So from my life can pour
A life unto my Lord

Father break me
Take me through the fire
Father hold me, mold me
Just as you desire
I am just a cup to overflow your will
But first I must be empty to be filled

I saw myself as only drifting
Lost upon the waters
Sinking like a stone
Then your tide washed around me
I was lifted
If I follow the morning star
I’ll be sailing home

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment